Words for a Wednesday: To Kill A Mockingbird

I, for one, really enjoyed Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. Scout, the narrator, is an inquisitive little girl who loves to read (double awesome) and I absolutely adore its whole message about racism and how to conquer it.
Basically, read the book. And although I haven't tried the sequel yet, it's apparently good. So check that out too.

I'll be honest: I didn't even consider reading this book until we studied it for school, and once we were, I had to spend a lot of time finding quotes to use in essays. This one is what stuck out - it might not be as deep, insightful or hard-hitting as some of the others, which you hear a lot, but it spoke to me. Mostly because it's about reading. What do you guys think?

"Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing." - Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
Scout, I agree with you. One does not love breathing, and yet reading comes as naturally. If I'm in the mood, I will grab any book around and start it immediately. That includes my Dad's Winston Churchill biography, if there's nothing else around.
This quote also gave me a little bit of hope, because sometimes I'm really not in the mood to read, and that's okay. I can still call myself a bookworm, because it's when I fear I might lose the power of words and losing myself in them that I begin to panic. Just like Scout.

***
What do you lovely people think of To Kill A Mockingbird? And, other than breathing, what can you compare words and reading to
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! ;-D

Follow Me! I Know the Way!

Labels

#MiniReviews (2) #WeNeedDiverseBooks (5) adaptations (1) Adult Lit. (2) Agatha Christie (1) All the Bright Places (1) Alternative Formats (1) Amy Alward (1) Anna McKerrow (1) Annabel Pitcher (1) Anne Frank (3) Authors (3) Bali Rai (1) be happy! (6) Beautiful People (6) Becky Allbertelli (1) Big Blogging Bonanza (28) birthday (1) Blog Organisation (4) Blog Tags (20) Blog Tour (1) blogging (22) book trends (1) Books (73) bookshops (5) bookworm (8) characters (11) Christmas (5) Classic Literature (2) Claudia Grey (1) coffee (1) contributions (3) Cover Art (2) Creative Pieces (8) crying (2) Disability (6) Disability Diaries (4) Discussions (3) eBooks (2) Elizabeth Laird (1) emojis (1) Faye Bird (1) feminism (2) Fiction Book Review (1) films (2) funny (3) Gallagher Girls (1) GIFs (6) gifts (2) Giveaway (1) Halloween (1) Harry Potter (7) Heroines (4) Holly Bourne (2) Holocaust (2) ideas (6) imagination (6) inspiring (7) Instagram (3) interview (1) Keren David (1) Kevin Brooks (1) Kristen Simmons (1) letter (2) Library (2) Lisa Heathfield (1) lists (32) Louise O'Neill (1) love (7) Malala Yousafzai (2) Me (17) Mental Health (3) middle grade (3) Monica Hesse (1) Monthly Wrap-Ups (1) New Year (2) non-fiction (1) Not-Vlogging (2) Pancake Day (1) panic (2) pep talk (1) Percy Jackson (1) photography (5) picture-heavy (8) poetry (1) princesses (1) Rainbow Rowell (1) Read-A-Long Diaries (1) reading (20) Reading Challenges (1) Reading Slumps (3) real life (41) recommendations (7) Reviews (26) roundup (1) scary? (4) school (3) series (1) Series Review (1) Sherlock (1) shipping (2) Short Pieces (10) Sorry! (4) Spoiler Alert (2) stars (1) Starting Conversations (2) Summer (2) Taking a Break (2) TBR Pile (7) Teenagerdom (5) Thank You (1) The Fight for Education (2) The Magic Violinist (3) The Oscars (2) THIS WAS A LONG POST (1) Tips & Tricks (9) twitter (3) Valentine's Day (1) Wattpad (1) Will Kostakis (1) Wishes (2) Words for a Wednesday (8) World Book Day (1) writing (10) YA Contemporary (5) YA Dystopian (2) YA Fantasy (6) YA Sci Fi (1) YA Thriller (2) Young Adult (5) zombies (1)
BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig