Cast A Harry Potter Spell Tag

There are pretty much two things I love . . . tags and Harry Potter. And this is a TAG about HARRY POTTER, so, you know. This post = Lara heaven.


I haven't managed to completely track down the origins of this tag, so I'm just going to have to say an anonymous thanks to whoever wrote it and admit that I stole it from Kate @ The Magic Violinist. If you want to have a go, then please do, but I'm a lazy little blogger who skipped a lot of questions, so I'd go to her post and grab all the missing ones.

Now stand back, ladies and gentlemen. It's time for Charms class.

Reparo
Fixes damaged objects

A book that needs some serious fixing: Probably lots, to be honest, but it always seems to be the way that I read a book, hate it and then promptly erase it from my memory, so that I'm not scarred for life. The good, sad ones scar me enough as it is. I think the first book that comes to mind is Crow Moon by Anna McKerrow - it's got a really good premise and enough good elements to make it worth mending, but the main couple? Can we just have a completely new one please?


Lumos
Creates a narrow beam of light

A book that deserves more attention: WHY DOES NO-ONE TALK ABOUT THE NAME OF THE STAR BY MAUREEN JOHNSON? It has brilliant, often hilarious characters (especially the MC, an out-of-place-American trying to survive in British boarding school), a gloriously gritty London setting and ghosts. Where were you, book community?


I'm going to need you to drop everything, read the book and then create a fandom. I want the internet flooded with Tumblr speculation by next week, okay?

Sorry to be drastic, but the book really deserves this. I really wish it would at least go on a few people's TBRs.


Accio
Summons an object from a significant distance

A book you’re anticipating: Um . . . all of them? 2017 (and the rest of 2016) looks like it's going to be an amazing year for books - it's agony I tell you. Agony! But I am absolutely definitely most excited about What's A Girl Gotta Do?, the third book in the Normal series by Holly Bourne; we now have a Goodreads blurb. THIS IS MAKING IT EVEN WORSE. 

I must confess, however, that I am slightly upset by the cover. It looks so different to the others in the series! And they were very pretty! But I'm hoping it's just provisional . . . and either way, nothing's going to stop me reading this book when I get my hands on it.


Expecto Patronum
Conjures an incarnation of positive feelings

A book that made you cry, or at least want to: Again, all of them? I'm a horribly emotional person and I cry at everything. Including people telling me not to cry. Other than the obvious (The Fault in Our Stars by John Green effectively drowned the entire book community, there were so many tears flying around) I blubbed my heart out at One by Sarah Crossan, because-

No, I'm going to have to stop talking now. Tears are pricking at my eyelids. 


Petrificus Totalus
Petrifies victim

A book you wish to keep forever: What book wouldn't you want to keep forever? I mean, even if what they have inside them doesn't agree with you, the covers are pretty and you can stroke them.

As you can tell, I have a real problem with book hoarding. If I could only keep one book that I've ever owned *trembles from the strain of making herself do this* it would probably be my Mum's old Secret Sevens. Because, you know, sentimentality. I can't just buy another set that have my Uncle's name in them.

And hush, I know that's more than one book. LIMITING MYSELF TO A SERIES WAS MORE THAN HARD ENOUGH, OKAY?


Lacarnum Inflamarae
Shoots fireballs

A book you wish to burn out of your mind completely: Definitely the Harry Potter series. Because them I could read them for the first time all over again, which is brilliant because a) duh, it's Potter, and b) I would be genuinely interested to see what an objective review ended up looking like. I really hate nine-year-old me for not having a blog at the time.


Wingardium Leviosa
Levitates objects

A book you wish to reread: I haven't reread anything in a while, actually (other than a quick flick through Harry Potter and the Prisoner Of Azkaban the other day, but I do that so often it barely counts), although I do have my eye on The Diary of a Young Girl. I'm contributing to Ely and Inge's Read-a-Long Diaries event, an Anne Frank read-along starting on the 12th of June, and I will have to actually remember the details if I'm going to write a mini review. (Unless random clueless non-opinion is what my hosts are going for.)

Forgive my slight tangent, but if you guys want to supply a read-along post (or have another idea for how you could contribute material to the event), there's still room for you! Comment here or email me - the address is in my sidebar - and I'll put you in contact with the right peeps.


Avada Kedavra
Causes instant death

Worst book EVER: Ugh. I guess, for it to be a classic, some people must have liked it at some point, but I must admit that I DNFed on Emma by Jane Austen. I mean, I DNFed hard - after about a hundred pages, I had to admit that my patience with the pain (sorry, I mean main) character that was Emma just didn't exist anymore. She was missing a soon-to-be plot twist when it was right in front of her nose, and I found her stuck-up and a little full of herself.

I don't mean to offend you if you liked the book, especially since I know there's a big Austen fanbase out there in the booksphere somewhere, but it just wasn't my thing. #sorrynotsorry


Stupefy
Puts victim in an unconscious state

A book with a chapter you couldn't seem to get over: This entire book was pretty much incredible (as you can probably guess, what with my above squealing about the not-soon-enough-to-be-released sequel), but my love for Chapter 29 knows no bounds. I don't want to reveal too much, of course, so I'll just say that this book is centred around the fact that love can't fix everything . . .

and thanks to Chapter 29, it didn't have to.


Episkey
Heals relatively minor injuries

A feel good book that you enjoyed: Kindred Spirits, a World Book Day novella by Rainbow Rowell, is a beautiful book that actually involves a fangirl, Instagram and highly-decorated cupcakes. It is everything I wish my life would be: Frankly, anything Rowell ever writes will put a smile on my face, but this is still my favourite.


Impedimenta
Impedes target’s progress

A book that kept you up all night reading: I have this very specific memory of reading Sophie's Adventures by Dick King-Smith, in bed at the age of about six. And reading. And reading. I could honestly tell you almost nothing about the plot (I had to Google to make sure I'd remembered the title right) but I can recall vividly being left for hours because Dad had promised me "five more minutes" and then gone out to mow (or weed, or something) without telling Mum to put me to sleep.

Needless to say, she was not impressed when she found me at nine o'clock. 


Reducto
Breaks through solid objects

A book that convinced you to reconsider a certain genre: I really do think certain bloggers are going to find and torture me if I say this, but I always thought that the sort of fantasy book with a map in would be too dense and long for me. If I saw a map, I would literally baulk and put the book back on the shelf. And now I am re-drawing the map of the fantasy novel I'm writing right now.

So what changed? I read an awful lot of good fantasy books (because there're a lot out there - who knew?), but Incarceron's fantasy elements are definitely the cream of the crop. The futuristic gadgets mixed with classic medieval society . . . I WANNA READ.

Oh yeah. I already did.


Rictusempra
Tickling spell

A book that made you laugh: I'm pretty sure almost everyone who does this tag will say the exact same thing, but the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan had me more giggle-incapacitated than anything else has in a long time. The sarcasm level is astronomical.

And no, I haven't read Heroes of Olympus or Magnus Bane, but please don't kill me. My IRL friends are rabid enough Riordan fans to have my death covered.


Sectusempra
Offensive spell that violently wounds the target

A book that may have scarred you for life: Urgh, probably thousands. Books - especially YA books, it seems - have this horrible habit nowadays of lashing out of me, and I have the scars, the figurative scars, to prove it. 

You can probably tell from this handful of quotes that Jennifer Niven's All the Bright Places is brutal, but you really have to read it to see just how brutal. It left me a wreck, but naturally I think you have to read it.

This is the vicious cycle of wounding books.


Bombarda Maxima
Causes an explosion that breaks through obstacles

A book that made you explode with the feels: Because I've already told you guys practically everything about sad books in this tag, I'm going to assume this means happy feels. Actually, I really hope it means happy feels; otherwise there's a chance I might cry. Luckily, just opening a Murder Most Unladylike Mystery by Robin Stevens gives me so many happy feels that it makes everything better. I mean, please. The phrase 'most divine berry cloche' is actually used at one point. Who wouldn't want a character who says that?


Finite Incantatem
Nullifies other spells

A book you thought you’d dislike, but ended up loving: I hate to admit that I groaned when I first found out I was going to be studying To Kill A Mockingbird for English, because it turned out to be amazing. Scout's viewpoint was both starkly honest and clouded by innocence. And . . . it was just poignantly beautiful and I loved it. Kindly read.


***
In the comments: Do you guys have a favourite book tag? Should I do it? And, as all of these covers are so gorgeous, which do you like best?
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

2 comments:

  1. Harry Potter tag this sounds like my cup of tea *tags herself*. Everyone talks wonders of All the bright places so now I need to buy it but I'm on a book buying ban ughhhh. I love Jane Austen and Emma BUT I agree it's not for everyone :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally tag yourself! Who needs other people to tag them anyway?

      And book buying bans are horrid. Ugh indeed. But it's a self-imposed ban, right? So you can . . . cheat? (All The Bright Places is absolutely worth it, don't doubt me.)

      Delete

Thank you for commenting! ;-D

Follow Me! I Know the Way!

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig