A Letter to my Older (and Hopefully Better) Self

So, I've been poking around the bloggersphere a bit more lately, and I've noticed that everyone is writing 'letter posts'. You know, letters to the people they used to be, letters to the person they want to become (just take a look at the title) and the people they might someday meet.

I'm not one to ignore a trend, and this looks like a fun bandwagon to jump on. I therefore present to you, the loyal followers of Another Teen Reader (and whoever else happens to find it) A Letter to Me When I Leave School.
Hi, Year Eleven Lara!

Do you have any idea who I am? Probably not - I'm barely a Year Nine yet and you're probably far too cool to have people like me on your radar. But I know an awful lot about you.

Provided I don't go through a complete personality change in the next three years, you're obsessed with reading, writing and musical theatre. You're probably still a blogger, but it doesn't matter if you aren't, because I've told everyone who'll listen that you should only blog if you want to, if you love it.

You got your GCSE results this week, didn't you? I'm sure they were fantabulous, and my Mum keeps saying you'll do well, but don't fret if they're not exactly what you wanted. You tend to have overly high expectations of yourself anyway. Heck, I don't even know what you took those exams in, which doesn't bode well.

I'm supposed to choose them at the end of this year.
Ooh, what did you read last? I'll tell you I just read Playlist for a Broken Heart, because I'm curious to see if you still remember it. It was good but not life-changing (or maybe it turned out to be . . . please say more!) and I'm still thinking a bit like the main character. Have you dived into Lord of the Rings yet? Or finally ventured properly into the scary world of Adult Fiction? I'm so jealous, because you'll have read so many more books than me!

I wrote this letter so you remember who you used to be, and therefore who you are, in case you're feeling lost. You are Lara. Reader, writer, singer, weirdo. Just because the years might have made you a bit different to me, we're still the same person. So do me a favour and follow your dreams. I want to know that I won't be stuck in some dead-end job that I hate when I finally grow up. I am here to remind you of all the things you wanted to be when you were little: horse-rider, singer, novellist, Agony Aunt, psychologist, computer programmer. . . the list is as endless as it is unrelated. I'm hoping by now you'll have some idea of the direction you want to take, but it's okay if you don't. You're only sixteen.
I hope you are a better person than me not because I am bad now, but because a person should always want to improve themselves. I hope you help people more, have less prejudice (have learned how to spell prejudice) and have the determination to find your true passion.

Hoping that you'll give me a good life to look forward to,
Year Eight (Nearly Nine) Lara

***
Thank you for indulging me with that, guys. I know it's very personal - but letters to future and past selves are actually really good fun to write? What would you say to yourself in three years? And do you have anything to say to future ME?

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! ;-D

Follow Me! I Know the Way!

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig