Words for a Wednesday: To Kill A Mockingbird

I, for one, really enjoyed Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird. Scout, the narrator, is an inquisitive little girl who loves to read (double awesome) and I absolutely adore its whole message about racism and how to conquer it.
Basically, read the book. And although I haven't tried the sequel yet, it's apparently good. So check that out too.

I'll be honest: I didn't even consider reading this book until we studied it for school, and once we were, I had to spend a lot of time finding quotes to use in essays. This one is what stuck out - it might not be as deep, insightful or hard-hitting as some of the others, which you hear a lot, but it spoke to me. Mostly because it's about reading. What do you guys think?

"Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing." - Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
Scout, I agree with you. One does not love breathing, and yet reading comes as naturally. If I'm in the mood, I will grab any book around and start it immediately. That includes my Dad's Winston Churchill biography, if there's nothing else around.
This quote also gave me a little bit of hope, because sometimes I'm really not in the mood to read, and that's okay. I can still call myself a bookworm, because it's when I fear I might lose the power of words and losing myself in them that I begin to panic. Just like Scout.

***
What do you lovely people think of To Kill A Mockingbird? And, other than breathing, what can you compare words and reading to
SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! ;-D

Follow Me! I Know the Way!

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig